Randy Moss (3/13/77) is a former wide receiver, and one of the most popular players of all time. The NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1998, he recovered from off-field issues and alleged attitude problems to feature in six Pro Bowl games and picked up a number of NFL records over the years.
His first year in the league was simply jaw-dropping for a first-year rookie as the following will show…
Randy Moss Rookie Season Stats: 69 receptions | 17 touchdowns | 1313 receiving yards | 82.1 yards per game
That 17 touchdown has to be a record for most touchdowns by a rookie right? at the vest least a wideout rookie TD record.
Best Randy Moss Rookie Cards
Here’s the ultimate investment guide for his rookie cards, with a checklist, and the best options from an investment point of view (yea we like a fat ROI).
1998 Randy Moss SP Authentic Rookie Card #18 (buy on eBay)
Moss’s most popular rookie card at auction, the Die-Cut version is serial-numbered to /500, while the base has 2000 copies. While the darker side is susceptible to chipped edges and corners, it’s still a good investment piece, and a 9.5 grade can sell for roughly $1,000.
Related: Buy the Best Tom Brady Rookie Cards
The quote on the reverse notes;
“Randy Moss has been nothing short of spectacular as his freakish numbers lead the most talented receiving corps in the NFL. He began his assault on the league’s defenses in Week 1 when he caught four passes for 98 yards and two touchdowns against division rival Tampa Bay.”
The 1998 Moss SP Authentic rookie card is a solid option and should have a good ROI moving forward.
1998 Randy Moss Finest Rookie #135 (buy on eBay)
The 1998 Topps Finest has a couple of interesting parallels. Refractors and No Protectors are always wanted by collectors, with a PSA 10 (related: PSA vs BGS) graded copy of the former recently selling for $194.00 at auction in March 2020. The quote on the back reads;
“The 1997 Biletnikoff Award Winner as the nation’s best college receiver, Moss stood head and shoulders over every other pass-catcher during his two seasons at Marshall. For his career there, he rolled up more than 2,700 yards receiving, an 18.8 yards per catch average and a jaw-dropping 43 TDs.”
1998 Randy Moss Topps Chrome RC #35 (buy on eBay)
His 1998 Topps Chrome is another great card to look out for, building on the base Topps version with a chrome finish. There are also Refractors, released at a scale of 1:12 in packs. It’s an inexpensive investment compared to the others, as a PSA 10 grade recently went for $76.00 at auction. The quote reads;
“Considered by some to be the draft’s best athlete, Randy’s presence could make the Vikings – With Pro Bowlers Cris Carter and Jake Reed already on board – the top pass-receiving team in the league. Moss led Marshall to the Division 1-AA title in 1996”.
Read: Brett Favre rookie cards
We love the Moss Topps Chrome rookie card moving forward as an investment option.
Randy Moss Rookie Card Checklist
We’ve prepared a list with the majority of Moss’ massive array of rookie card options in alphabetical order;
- 1998 Absolute Tandems #4A
- 1998 Absolute Tandems #4B
- 1998 Bowman Randy Moss #182
- 1998 Bowman’s Best Randy Moss #109
- 1998 Bowman’s Best Performers Randy Moss #5
- 1998 Bowman Chrome Randy Moss #182
- 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Randy Moss #182
- 1998 Bowman Chrome Interstate Randy Moss #182
- 1998 Bowman Rookie Autographs Randy Moss #A7
- 1998 Collector’s Edge 1st Place #156a
- 1998 Collector’s Edge 1st Place Red Ink #25
- 1998 Collector’s Edge 1st Place Successors #20
- 1998 Collector’s Edge Advantage #196
- 1998 Collector’s Edge Masters #186
- 1998 Collector’s Edge Odyssey #177
- 1998 Finest #135
- 1998 Fines Future’s Finest #13
- 1998 Flair Showcase Legacy Collection Row 0 #5
- 1998 Fleer #237
- 1998 Fleer Brilliants #104
- 1998 Fleer Tradition Heritage Collection #237
- 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars #266
- 1998 Metal Universe #190
- 1998 Metal Universe Quasars #4
- 1998 Pacific #244
- 1998 Pinnacle Auto
- 1998 Playoff Absolute #40
- 1998 Playoff Absolute Draft Picks #9
- 1998 Press Pass #5
- 1998 Score #235
- 1998 Score Rookie Autographs #24
- 1998 Skybox E-X2001 #55
- 1998 Skybox Premium #57
- 1998 SP #18
- 1998 SP Authentic Die-Cut #18
- 1998 SPx Finite #321
- 1998 Stadium Club #189
- 1998 Stadium Prime Rookies #9
- 1998 Topps #352
- 1998 Topps Autographs Gold Foil #A1
- 1998 Topps Chrome #35
- 1998 Topps Mystery Finest #16
- 1998 Topps Season Opener #22
- 1998 Topps Stars #66
- 1998 UD Black Diamond Rookie Ext. Brilliance #26
- 1998 UD Black Diamond Single #97
- 1998 UD Black Diamond White Onyx #18
- 1998 UD Choice Domination Next #270
- 1998 Ultra Randy Moss #207
- 1998 Ultra Randy Moss #406
- 1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion Randy Moss #207P
- 1998 Upper Deck Constant Threat #3
- 1998 Upper Deck Encore #3
- 1998 Upper Deck Randy Moss #17 Star Rookie
How much is my Randy Moss rookie card worth? (Randy Moss Rookie Card value)
If you would like us to provide an estimated value of your Randy Moss rookie card please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include a min of two pictures of the card… thanks!
The most expensive Moss rookie card is his 2018 SP Authentic… please note the Randy Moss Topps Chrome rookie card is almost just as much as the Authentic.
If you are thinking about buying a Randy Moss rookie card or just one of his cards in general and would like a second opinion please hit us up on Facebook or email us at email@example.com… cheers!
Randy Moss Rookie Card Investment Advice
Moss played and lost in two Super Bowl finals, which doesn’t help to inflate the overall value of his rookie card options. On the other hand, he entered the Hall of Fame in 2018 at the first time of asking, and he also has the benefit of nostalgia on his side to boost prices over the next few years.
He’s still the NFL leader for touchdown receptions in a single season, and while he’s quick to remind everyone of the fact, it plays into his media persona as an analyst for ESPN. He has a variety of signed rookie cards to choose from, with something for almost everyone.
Considering the above, we’d rate his collection of rookie cards as a solid investment option over the next year or so. Collectors and fans have no chance of forgetting about Moss, which would undoubtedly make his younger self smile.
Investment Rating: buy
Ownership Disclosure: None
Best Randy Moss Rookie Cards: 1998 Topps Chrome RC